Today, we’re proud to announce the launch of our sixth grade math and English courses. These new courses join our existing math and English courses for grades 5, 8, and 11. The impending launch of our ELA 7 and Pre-Algebra courses this spring will round out our middle school offerings.
This onslaught of new content will be joined by a completely revised app user interface this spring with significantly updated and expanded features for teachers. And by this fall, we plan to finish our math and English push with the upcoming launch of ELA 9, ELA 10, Geometry, and Pre-Calculus.
By the start of the new school year, Piqosity will be the web’s leading e-learning platform for peer-normed, personalized math and English enrichment and remediation.
Registration for Piqosity’s premium courses takes less than 30 seconds and does not require a credit card. Join for FREE at the Community level, which includes access to a diagnostic test and limited practice material. Full course access starts at just $89, and tutors and teachers can save more than 50% when purchasing on behalf of their classes.
Improve 6th Grade Reading and Writing Skills
We designed the new ELA 6 course to help 6th grade students with both enrichment and remediation. This course heavily emphasizes improving reading skills through a diverse group of texts. We estimate that most 6th grade students will take between 30 and 40 hours to fully work through this material:
- Lessons on Reading & Writing Skills (30+ lessons)
- Close Reading Passage Practice Units (50+ passages)
- Full-Length Novel Walk-Throughs Units (2 novels)
Aligned to Common Core standards, the course is further divided into six genre-specific units:
- Unit 1 – Short Stories (6 stories at launch)
- Unit 2 – Informational Texts (16 texts)
- Unit 3 – Greek Mythology (16 mythologies)
- Unit 4 – Inquiry Topics (4 texts)
- Novel 1 – The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (35 chapters)
- Novel 2 – A Christmas Carol (5 chapters)
This content can occupy sixth grade students for a full academic year and is equivalent to 5 typical classroom books: Writing Handbook, Reading Manual, Anthology, Classic Novel 1, and Classic Novel 2.
Piqosity’s modular content is personalizable and can easily be spaced out across weekly study sessions:
- Study lessons sequentially by skill or only reference as-needed
- Work passages sequentially by genre or randomly as interest allows
- Read novels in their entirety from start to finish, pausing to work chapter-specific questions
Learn More About How to Use Piqosity’s English Language Arts (ELA) Courses
- Quick Start Guide to Improving Reading and Writing Skills with Piqosity
- Navigation Guide to Piqosity’s ELA Courses
Sixth Grade Math Course
Our new Math 6 course is targeted primarily at 6th grade students for enrichment, remediation, and test prep. Aligned to both Common Core and Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS), the course is divided into 4 primary units:
- Numerical Representations and Relationships
- Mathematical Properties and Algebraic Expressions
- Geometry and Coordinate Plane Measurement
- Statistics and Financial Literacy
At launch, there are currently 35 instructional lessons and nearly 1300 practice questions, which we think will take most 6th grade students about 40 hours to complete; this works out to a little over an hour of extra weekly practice in a standard 35-week school year.
Innovative Platform Features
These new sixth grade math and English courses are built on top of the same innovative and flexible platform as our ISEE, ACT, and SAT test prep:
Piqosity’s key platform features include:
- Instructional lessons with multiple variations including videos
- Adaptive practice including the option for gamification
- Piqosity Virtual Tutor (PVT), an individualized AI-driven tutoring assistant
- Peer-normed question difficulty
- Student analytics and strengths and weakness diagnostics
- Answer explanations from both the original author and third-party educators
- Printable PDF practice tests and question sets
- Timers with settings for time and a half and double time
- Online test taking tools like whiteboard, question scratch-throughs, and flagging
Built for Tutors and Teachers
We built Piqosity not only to be user friendly for parents and students at home but also for the advanced needs of tutors and teachers. Key features for educators include:
- Student management including the ability to see everything the student sees
- Automatic scoring and analysis of all student work
- Assignments with due dates
- Custom Branding (tutoring companies and schools)
- Ability to upload your own questions and lessons
Since this winter, we have opened up our platform to enable any qualified educator to upload their own instructional content to Piqosity. This means that educators are able to create their own lessons and questions. They can share this content with all users or limit it to their own students.
A Mission to Rethink Education
Piqosity (pique + curiosity) is a Houston-based education technology startup on a mission to rethink education. One product launch at a time, we are on a journey to democratize education publishing and personalize student learning.